- Managing Contacts
- Categorizing your contacts using Tags
- Updating your contacts
- Contacts with multiple organizations
- Linking organizations
- Changing a person's organization
- Customizing your contacts
- Creating a contact list or report
- Merging duplicate contacts
- Converting a person to an organization
- Dealing with contacts for B2C businesses
- Emailing a list of contacts
- Mail merge or label printing
- Sorting your contacts
- Deleting contacts
- Attach person's address to linked organization
- Deleting files stored against a contact
It’s simple to manage your contacts within Capsule. Categorize your contacts using tags, then create lists of the contacts you want to email, export or delete.
Tags are keywords that you use to categorize your contacts. For example, you can tag your contacts based on the relationships they have with your business such as Lead, Customer, Vendor, Partner etc. You can also create tags based on business sector, product areas, locations etc. Tags are more powerful than a simple category since you can apply multiple tags to a single contact such as Customer and BigCo.
You can create and manage tags by going to the Account Settings Tags People and Organizations. You can also create a tag when adding or editing a contact.
Once you have your tags set up you’ll also be able to filter for lists of contacts based on those tags.
If you need to change the details for an existing contact then you need to use the Actions menu to find the option to Edit it - like this:
When editing a contact there’s an option to fill in an organization name. When you start typing in the organization field it will start populating with existing organizations matching what you’re typing. If you’d like to add the person to an existing organization then simply select one from the list of suggestions. Alternatively, you can add it to a brand new organization by typing out its unique name. Once saved, a new organization record will be created for it.
Capsule doesn’t have the ability to link a person with more than one organization. Instead there are two options when you have a contact that provides services under multiple organizations that we can recommend:
Record the contact under their main organization and record any additional relationships in the ‘About’ field of the contact. You can also include a link to the related contact in there. Once saved, the link will be shortened to look a bit prettier but not only that - when you hover the mouse over it will show a little hover card with that contact’s details.
Record the contact multiple times, one for each organization they work for. So in Capsule you will have:
- Jennifer Kim, CEO at Bookingly
- Jennifer Kim, Advisor at Home Style
Use option 2 if it’s important that you can see the contact from each organization.
Capsule doesn’t have an option to link organizations with other organizations. Instead, what you can do is use the ‘About’ field to make a note on an organization about its relationship with other organizations. If you include a link to the related organization in the ‘About’ field then that link will be shortened and you’ll be able to hover over it to see the details of the related organization like the example below:
Click to edit the contact and then update the name in the organization field. This will link the contact with the new organization.
By way of example, if Jennifer Kim moves from the organization Home Style to Bookingly, then any history you’ve entered for Jennifer while she was working at Home Style will remain visible on the Home Style organization.
You can choose to change this however by using an option to link all the history to the new Bookingly organization instead. Here’s what you’d need to do:
- First add
?advancedto the end of the contact URL like this:
- Now when you use the Actions menu you’ll see an extra option to Manage History.
- Once you’ve clicked to ‘Manage History’ you need to confirm that you want to ‘Link previous history to current organization’. Click the button to Link and you’re all set.
Any history that was made for Jennifer will now be stored on her new Bookingly organization.
If you remove the organization from Jennifer completely then you can use the same option to unlink all the history from the Home Style organization completely instead.
- Opportunities added while Jennifer was working for Home Style will continue to be linked to Jennifer and Home Style
- Cases linked to Jennifer will continue to be linked to her.
If you’d like to record more details on your contacts for information that might be unique to your business then custom fields are a great option.
While tags are great for categories, custom fields are especially handy for more specific information that might require a dedicated label. For example, if you want to record what industry sector a contact belongs to or display a source for where the contact was referred from.
A Capsule admin can set up custom fields by going to the Account Settings Custom Fields.
There’s lots more information and useful screenshots on customizing your contacts in a dedicated article right here
Capsule comes with a number of pre-defined lists. You can find these by going to People & Organizations
It’s up to you how you use the list. The options are displayed on the top right hand side of the list. For example, use the Email option to send an email to everyone on the list or export the list to MailChimp. Export the list to a CSV, Excel or vCard file for use in another system. Add a tag to sub-categorize contacts.
You can create your own lists by filtering your contacts using criteria such as which city they’re in, how you’ve tagged them, when they were added, or using a custom field you have created.
You create the list by going to People & Organizations and then filtering for your contacts.
If you have duplicate contacts then you can merge them with each other.
Merging two contacts will combine their history, contact details, opportunities and cases.
- Go to the duplicate contact record.
- Next to the contact name, use the downward arrow to open up an actions menu.
- Capsule attempts to find and display the correct record to merge with. Select from this list or type the correct name into the search field. Click on the name and Capsule will return the new merged record.
- Check the details, and if you’re happy, click Save and the two records will be merged. The duplicate contact is deleted.
This can’t be reversed
Contacts imported into Capsule or auto created by the drop box may result in the wrong type - person instead of organization, or organization instead of person.
You fix this by using the arrow button next to the contact name > choose the option to Convert to Organization. The same action is available for converting an Organization to a Person.
If you are a B2C business it is likely the majority of your Capsule contacts will be people. If you wish to record a company name for your person contact but do not want Capsule to create a separate organization record we recommend setting up a custom field for
Company in your account.
We recommend that you use a custom text field and call it
Company to avoid any confusion with the default
This can be extra useful to do if you’re using our accounting integrations and you’re looking to export and invoice people as opposed to organization. You can read more about how that works in our accounting integration guide
For small numbers you can use the email option by going to People and Organizations and using the Email button at the top of the list
For more professional results, we’d suggest an email marketing service. This service will usually include:
- An email designer for creating professional newsletters
- A tool to check that your newsletter looks good in a range of email systems such as Outlook, Gmail etc.
- Subscriber management so that the recipients can choose to unsubscribe (a legal requirement in most places)
- Reporting tools on email opens, click throughs etc.
Capsule integrates with MailChimp, which is one of the popular email marketing services.
- If you are the administrator of your Capsule account you can set up the integration by following the instructions in the Account Settings Integrations MailChimp.
- Once configured, you can go to People and Organizations then use the Email button and click the option to Update Mailing List to add contacts from Capsule to your MailChimp mailing lists.
- MailChimp can also record the result of the campaign as a note against each contact’s history in Capsule. This is enabled from MailChimp by clicking through to Account Integrations and following the on-screen instructions.
Alternative email marketing services can also be used by exporting your contacts from Capsule as a CSV file and importing them into the email marketing service.
There are also a few email marketing services that have their own integrations with Capsule e.g. ActiveCampaign or MadMimi. Check out the full list on our add-ons page.
You can download your contacts to a Microsoft Word or an Excel spreadsheet for merging into letters or printing labels. Go to People and Organizations to filter for the list of contacts and then extract by clicking the Export button at the top of the list. Choose CSV or vCard depending on the format you want.
If you’re using Microsoft Word then there are some useful instructions for how to use a CSV file to do a mail merge here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294684/en-us
You can sort the contacts in your list by their First Name, Last Name or Organization. It’s also possible to sort them by the date they were Added on, Updated on or Last contacted on.
To sort your contacts, click the cog in the top right of the list to open your Table settings, then swich to the Sort by tab before clicking the column you’d like to sort by.
Sorting by the Last contacted on column will order your contacts by the last time you added a note to their record, or stored an email for them with the Capsule Drop Box.
- Go to the contact that you want to delete
- Next to the contact name, click on the arrow button and then select the option to Delete
When deleting an organization, you also get the option to delete any people linked to the organization at the same time.
When the contact is deleted, their details, history, AND linked opportunities and cases are removed. Deleted contacts can be restored within 30 days by the Super Administrator. Read more here
If you need to keep linked opportunities or cases, then be sure to move them to a new contact before deleting.
- In order to bulk delete a list of contacts you need to be a Capsule admin
- Go to People & Organizations
- Filter for the contacts you want to delete
- Use the trash-can button at the top of the list to delete all the contacts in the list
- Tick the box to confirm that you understand that “deletion is permanent and there is no undo” and press the button to Delete these contacts
When the contacts are deleted, their details, history, AND linked opportunities and cases are removed. Deleted contacts can be restored within 30 days by the Super Administrator. Read more here
To delete some contacts in your results, select them by clicking the check box to next to their names before clicking the trash-can button. If no contacts are selected, the whole list will be deleted instead.
To delete one of your users refer to this article
Our design approach at Capsule has been to limit duplication of data as much as possible. We have found that often, people add the same address to every single person that is part of the same organization even though the address actually belongs to the organization itself. We have therefore created a simple tool to move the address from a Person to the linked organization.
When viewing a Person’s contact record, use the link to ‘attach address to organization’ next to the address. This will remove the address from the person’s contact record and add it to the linked organization instead.
We understand that you sometimes want to still be able to see the contact details for the organization when viewing the person. You can therefore hover your mouse over the contact card next to the organization name - a popover will be displayed, showing the contact details for the organization that the person is linked to. It works the same way in reverse when you’re viewing an Organization record and want to see contact details for each Person.
Files attached on your Capsule contacts, cases or opportunities take up storage in your account. If you’re nearing your storage limit and want to remove some unnecessary files you can follow these steps.
- On the contact record in Capsule click on the Files tab
- Find the file you want to delete and click to open the note or email the file is attached to.
- Under the body of the note or email you will see the name of the file > click
xnext to the filename to remove it from the note and click Save
If you want to save the file before deleting it you can right click on the name of the file, select Download and then save to your computer.