When you start typing in the Organization field it will start populating with existing Organizations matching what you’re typing. If you’d like to add the person to an existing Organization then simply select one from the list of suggestions. Alternatively, you can add it to a brand new Organization by typing out its unique name. Once saved, a new Organization record will be created for it.
There is a very specific process for changing a Person from one Organization to another.
When viewing the Contact, click to Edit the Contact. Then, update the name in the Organization field. This will link the Contact with the new Organization. Their history will be retained on their previous Organization.
If you would like to change the Organization linked to a Person and also have their history transferred over onto the new Organization:
Add ‘?advanced’ to the end of the contact URL like this: https://example.capsulecrm.com/party/12345678?advanced
Go to the Actions menu and click on option** Manage History**.
Confirm that you want to ‘Link previous history to current Organization’. Click the button to link and you’re all set.
Any history that was made will now be stored on the new Organization.
Opportunities will remain on the previous Organization
Contacts imported into Capsule or auto-created by the Mail Dropbox may result in the wrong Contact type - Person instead of Organization, or Organization instead of Person.
This can be easily changed from within the Contact. By using the down arrow button next to the Contact name, choose the option to Convert to Organization, or Person.
Sometimes a duplicate record for the same Contact is accidentally created. All the information stored on both records creates a history that has to be converted into a merged Contact record.
- Select one of the Contact records
- Select the drop-down arrow next to the Edit button
- Choose the Merge option
- Capsule attempts to find and display the correct record(s) to merge. Select from this list or type the correct name into the search field. Click on the name and Capsule will return the newly merged record.
- Check the details, and if you’re happy, click Save. The duplicate Contact is deleted.
Only Contacts of the same type can be merged.
Be sure the correct records are being merged. Once the action is complete, it cannot be undone.
Sometimes you may want to make updates to multiple Contacts at once such as changing the value in a Custom Field. This can be done through an import. The file you import needs to have certain fields which match existing Contacts in Capsule in order for the update to work. The easiest way to do this is to export a list of Contacts, adjust the values you want to change and then re-import the same file. This ensures that the correct Contacts are being updated.
First, you’ll start by gathering a list of your Contacts:
- Start by navigating to the People & Organizations tab and filter your list of Contacts to get the list you’d like to update.
- Then select Export at the right-hand of the page.
- In the popup, make sure All columns is selected. Choose either the CSV or Excel options, and click Export.
Once you have your list of Contacts, you can edit your CSV file:
Now open up the downloaded file in a spreadsheet and you will be best to delete most of the columns. The only columns you should keep are:
- Capsule ID
- First Name & Last Name columns (only if it’s a person you’re updating)
- Email (only if it’s a person you’re updating)
- Organization Name (only if it’s an Organization you’re updating)
- The column for the field you want to update
Once you’ve made your changes to the file, go back into Capsule and import:
- Select Import on the People & Organizations tab
- Select Import from Outlook or CSV file , select your file, and Upload and preview.
- You will now need to map each column from the CSV file to the relevant fields in Capsule. In the Handling duplicates section, select Import and update duplicates and also check the checkbox which says Overwrite name, job title, Organization and Custom Fields.
- Finally, click the I’m Happy, Import Now! button. Your import will start and you will be notified via email when it’s complete.
Files attached to your Capsule Contacts, Cases or Opportunities take up storage in your account. If you’re nearing your storage limit and want to remove some unnecessary files you can follow these steps to create space:
- Click into a Contact History tab
- Select the file you want to delete and click to open the note or email the file is attached to.
- Under the body of the note or email you will see the name of the file, then click X next to the filename to remove it from the note. Finalize your changes by selecting Save
If you want to save the file before deleting it, you can right-click on the name of the file, select Download and then save to your computer.