- Managing Deals
- Using opportunities
- Linking contacts to opportunities
- Emailing the contacts linked to opportunities
- Recurring opportunity revenue
- Different currencies
- Re-assigning opportunities
- Tags on opportunities
- Adding emails to opportunities
- Editing and deleting opportunities
- Sales pipeline graphs & reporting
Track your potential sales in Capsule using opportunities. Set milestones specific to your pipeline and attach related emails directly to the opportunity.
An opportunity is used to track a potential sale with a customer such as a bid, deal or proposal.
- Share opportunities for collaboration with co-workers.
- Get a quick summary of opportunities on the go via the sales dashboard including potential values, where they’re up to and what needs to be done next.
- Keep track of where each opportunity is at, using milestones such as prospect -> meeting -> proposal -> won etc. Each milestone is linked with a success factor that is used to forecast potential sales revenues. Capsule includes a standard set of milestones or you can configure your own.
- Keep track of the history of an opportunity by adding emails, notes and attaching documents.
- Generate reports and extracts from the pipeline using configurable filters.
A milestone is a recognizable point in the completion of an opportunity, such as prospect, champion, proposal. Using these milestones, you can keep track of how your new business is moving through the sales pipeline.
You can create your own milestones, or you can select one of the suggested milestone sets shown on the Sales Pipeline when you first open your account. You create your milestones by going to your Settings Opportunity Milestones.
You set your milestones to meet your business requirements using the following simple rules:
- The milestone percentage should estimate the likelihood of winning the opportunity at this point in your sales process.
- You do need at least two completion milestones to finalize an opportunity: One that represents a successful completion (e.g. won), and one that represents an unsuccessful completion (e.g. lost). For lost milestones we recommend that you check the box to Close Opportunity and set the percentage to 0%.
When you have saved your milestones you can begin entering opportunities.
You may find that an opportunity’s likelihood of winning is different to the default percentage. You can overwrite the percentage and save.
Over time you may realize your milestones’ default percentages do not reflect your current likelihood of completing opportunities. You can update these by going to Settings Opportunity Milestones.
To edit a milestone simply click the milestone name.
- The new percentage is applied to all your new opportunities. Any open opportunities will remain on the old percentage.
- You can change a milestone name and it will immediately update on all opportunities.
If a milestone isn’t being used you can delete it by clicking the link to ‘delete’ next to the name in the list of milestones.
When setting up a new opportunity, you select a contact that this opportunity belongs to. If you select a person, Capsule will automatically link the opportunity to their organization and list the person as a linked contact:
You can add all contacts interested in the opportunity by clicking the
+ under the Contacts heading on the opportunity.
Go to the opportunity and under the 'Contacts’ heading, click Open contacts in list which appears below the contacts involved in the opportunity.
This opens the contacts as a list where you can click the button to Email at the top of the list:
You can set the income to be distributed evenly over a period. If you enter an expected income of 5,000 per month for 3 months, then the opportunity will be worth a total of 15,000:
In this example, the opportunity has an 10% probability of winning. Capsule will add to the Sales Pipeline, an expected revenue of $5,000/month for 3 months from close date on 16th of April.
You select the currency to be used for each opportunity:
To create the dashboard summary graphs, Capsule converts the opportunity values into your default currency.
To reassign an opportunity to someone else, go to the opportunity > use the Actions menu next to the opportunity name and click Edit > select the new owner and save.
Tasks already on the opportunity will not automatically be re-assigned when you change the owner of the opportunity. If you need to re-assign the tasks you would need to do that manually.
Tags can be used to categorize your opportunities:
The pipeline dashboard provides a breakdown by tag allowing you to click through to see the opportunities for each tag.
You can also use these tags to filter your opportunities in a list or report.
When you have added a note or an email to a contact in Capsule you can move it from the history of the contact to an opportunity that is linked to the contact instead:
- Find the note or email on the contact’s history > next to the date for the note/email, use the downwards pointing arrow and click Edit
- Click on the link to linked note to case/opportunity in the bottom right corner of the note/email and select the opportunity you want to link it to.
An email can also be attached directly to an opportunity via the drop box:
- Each opportunity has its own drop box address. Next to the opportunity name, use the Actions menu and select Attach an email
- Copy the drop box address and add to your email
If you’re using Office365 of Outlook.com then you might have problems using a plus (+) sign in the email address. You can then replace it with a minus (-) sign instead and it will work just the same.
Over the lifetime of an opportunity you may find that you need to update details such as the expected close date, expected value or which user the opportunity is owned by.
To make these changes you need to Edit the opportunity. You edit an opportunity by using the Actions menu next to the opportunity name > Edit.
You delete an opportunity by using the Actions menu next to the opportunity name > Delete.
When you delete an opportunity, all its history is removed from Capsule and it will not contribute to the statistics on the Sales Pipeline Dashboard. If you want to keep the opportunity’s history then close (rather than delete) by selecting a milestone that is 0% and closed. For example:
Deleted opportunities are kept in the trash for 30 days before they are permanently deleted. Within that time the account owner has the option to restore them. Read more here.
You can quickly get a summary position of your sales pipeline:
- Pipeline Forecast shows the estimated income generated from your pipeline. It is the Pipeline Value distributed by month.
- Pipeline Value is the sum of all open opportunities multiplied by their milestone percentages. This shows your pipeline’s expected income.
- Total Value is the sum of all opportunities (excluding milestone percentages). This shows your pipeline’s maximum income.
- Pipeline by Milestone is a count of all open opportunities that have reached each milestone. At a glance you can see if your pipeline is a healthy funnel shape.
- Conversion Rate calculates the number of successful opportunities against all opportunities that are being closed over the last month, quarter and year.
If you want to see your projected sales over time you can use the Sales Pipeline Forecast. The forecast graph will show you your projected sales based on open opportunities in your Capsule account.
In order for your sales opportunities to appear on the graph you need to enter an expected close date and an expected amount on your opportunities. Along with the milestone (and its expected probability) users can get an estimated value of their sales pipeline.
Both of these things are setup when you create the opportunity - it looks like this:
Once you have a few opportunities with expected values and close dates, your sales pipeline graph will look something like this:
And the milestones will be plotted like this:
Capsule has a number of standard lists you can access by going to the Sales Pipeline > List:
You decide how you would like to use this list. For example, you may want to export the list or tag all these opportunities.
Instead of a standard list, you may wish to create your own list by clicking create a new list. For example, creating a list for following up opportunities that have had no action in the last 30 days:
You can save this list by clicking Save List underneath the list filters:
This list becomes available on the dropdown of Saved Lists:
It can sometimes be useful to find all your opportunities that are over a certain value. To use that:
Go to your Sales Pipeline List create a new list and then filter for [Expected Value] [is over] [USD -$] .
This will find all your opportunities where the total expected value is over $10,000. That includes opportunities that are setup with recurring revenue e.g. where the expected value is $3,000/month over 4 months.
If you’re working with multiple currencies then it can also be helpful to further narrow down the list to only opportunities with a specific currency. To do that:
Go to your Sales Pipeline List create a new list and then filter for [Currency] [is] [GBP -£].