- Managing Deals
- Using opportunities
- Linking contacts to opportunities
- Emailing the contacts linked to opportunities
- Recurring opportunity revenue
- Different currencies
- Re-assigning opportunities
- Tags on opportunities
- Adding emails to opportunities
- Editing and deleting opportunities
- Creating a case from an opportunity
- Multiple sales pipelines
Track your potential sales in Capsule using opportunities. Set milestones specific to your pipeline and attach related emails directly to the opportunity.
An opportunity is used to track a potential sale with a customer such as a bid, deal or proposal.
- Share opportunities for collaboration with co-workers.
- Get a quick summary of opportunities on the go via the sales dashboard including potential values, where they’re up to and what needs to be done next.
- Keep track of where each opportunity is at, using milestones such as prospect -> meeting -> proposal -> won etc. Each milestone is linked with a success factor that is used to forecast potential sales revenues. Capsule includes a standard set of milestones or you can configure your own.
- Keep track of the history of an opportunity by adding emails, notes and attaching documents.
- Generate reports and extracts from the pipeline using configurable filters.
A milestone is a recognizable point in the completion of an opportunity, such as prospect, champion, proposal. Using these milestones, you can keep track of how your new business is moving through the sales pipeline.
You can create your own milestones, or you can select one of the suggested milestone sets shown on the Sales Pipeline when you first open your account. You create your milestones by going to the Account Settings Opportunity Milestones.
You set your milestones to meet your business requirements using the following simple rules:
- The milestone percentage should estimate the likelihood of winning the opportunity at this point in your sales process.
- You do need at least two completion milestones to finalize an opportunity: One that represents a successful completion (e.g. won), and one that represents an unsuccessful completion (e.g. lost). For lost milestones we recommend that you check the box to Close Opportunity and set the percentage to 0%.
When you have saved your milestones you can begin entering opportunities.
You may find that an opportunity’s likelihood of winning is different to the default percentage. You can overwrite the percentage and save.
Over time you may realize your milestones’ default percentages do not reflect your current likelihood of completing opportunities. You can update these by going to the Account Settings Opportunity Milestones.
To edit a milestone simply click the milestone name.
- The new percentage is applied to all your new opportunities. Any open opportunities will remain on the old percentage.
- You can change a milestone name and it will immediately update on all opportunities.
If a milestone isn’t being used you can delete it by clicking the link to ‘delete’ next to the name in the list of milestones.
When setting up a new opportunity, you select a contact that this opportunity belongs to. If you select a person, Capsule will automatically link the opportunity to their organization and list the person as a linked contact:
You can add all contacts interested in the opportunity by clicking the
+ under the Contacts heading on the opportunity.
Go to the opportunity and under the ‘Contacts’ heading, click Open contacts in list which appears below the contacts involved in the opportunity.
This opens the contacts as a list where you can click the button to Email at the top of the list:
You can set the income to be distributed evenly over a period. If you enter an expected income of 5,000 per month for 3 months, then the opportunity will be worth a total of 15,000:
In this example, the opportunity has an 10% probability of winning. Capsule will add to the Sales Pipeline, an expected revenue of $5,000/month for 3 months from close date on 16th of April.
You select the currency to be used for each opportunity:
To create the dashboard summary graphs, Capsule converts the opportunity values into your default currency.
To reassign an opportunity to someone else, go to the opportunity > click the Edit button next to the opportunity name > select the new owner and save.
Tasks already on the opportunity will not automatically be re-assigned when you change the owner of the opportunity. If you need to re-assign the tasks you would need to do that manually.
Tags can be used to categorize your opportunities:
The pipeline dashboard provides a breakdown by tag allowing you to click through to see the opportunities for each tag.
You can also use these tags to filter your opportunities in a list or report.
When you have added a note or an email to a contact in Capsule you can move it from the history of the contact to an opportunity that is linked to the contact instead:
- Find the note or email on the contact’s history > next to the date for the note/email, use the downwards pointing arrow and click Edit
- Click on the link to linked note to case/opportunity in the bottom right corner of the note/email and select the opportunity you want to link it to.
An email can also be attached directly to an opportunity via the drop box:
- Each opportunity has its own drop box address. Next to the opportunity name, use the Actions menu and select Attach an email
- Copy the drop box address and add to your email
If you’re using Office365 of Outlook.com then you might have problems using a plus (+) sign in the email address. You can then replace it with a minus (-) sign instead and it will work just the same.
Over the lifetime of an opportunity you may find that you need to update details such as the expected close date, expected value or which user the opportunity is owned by.
To make these changes you need to Edit the opportunity. You edit an opportunity by clicking the Edit button next to the opportunity name.
You delete an opportunity by using the Actions menu next to the opportunity name > Delete.
When you delete an opportunity, all its history is removed from Capsule and it will not contribute to the statistics on the Sales Pipeline Dashboard. If you want to keep the opportunity’s history then close (rather than delete) by selecting a milestone that is 0% and closed. For example:
Deleted opportunities are kept in the trash for 30 days before they are permanently deleted. Within that time the Super Administrator has the option to restore them. Read more here.
You may find you have projects linked to opportunities that are better managed outside of the process of winning a deal. In this situation you can create a case linked to the opportunity via the Actions menu next to the opportunity name > Add a linked case.
Details such as the case name and description are copied from the linked opportunity and once saved the opportunity details will be displayed on the left hand side of the case view.
It is possible to create multiple cases linked to one opportunity. Cases linked to an opportunity can be viewed from the Cases tab on an opportunity (the Cases tab will only be visible on opportunities that have linked cases).
Cases can be linked and unlinked from opportunities via the Actions menu next to a case name. If you wish to link an existing case to an existing opportunity go to the case and click the Actions menu and select Link Opportunity. In the search field enter the contact or opportunity name you want to link the case to.
The graphs on the Sales Pipeline dashboard only ever shows you data from your combined sales opportunities. However, if you need to manage multiple different pipelines perhaps for different parts of your business or different products, we have some tips for how to make that easier.
You can categorize your opportunities using tags. Then you can filter for reports of opportunities based on them - either to view inside Capsule or to export to a CSV or Excel file which you in turn can use to create your own graphs.
While there’s only ever a single list of milestones, you have the option to create as many milestones as you want. So if you use different milestones for different opportunities then you have the option to set those us. We recommend that you prefix the milestone names to help distinguish them from each other.